guile-gtk-general

Re: G-Wrap 1.9.3rc1 -- please test

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: G-Wrap 1.9.3rc1 -- please test
Date: 09 Oct 2004 18:29:20 -0400

  I've just uploaded the first 1.9.3 release canditate to
  http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926584/tmp/. This release

  - contains libffi, as does 1.9.2
  - has a the .pc file fixed, which was bogus when using the internal libffi
  - reverts the enhanced generics support (which was in 1.9.2),
    since this breaks guile-gnome

  This release should thus be suitable for the guile-gnome 2.6.0
  tarballs; please give it some testing. If I don't receive negative
  feedback, I'll release it as 1.9.3 soonish.

After ranting, I thought I should do something useful, and set out to
get guile-gnome working.  I haven't got there, and I'm submitting this
note as a bug/experience report.  I didn't find your note about
1.9.3rc1, so I started at the web page.

1) guile-gnome web pages don't explain that you need g-wrap:

  http://home.gna.org/guile-gnome/dev/

They should probably also mention that one needs Guile-Lib.

2) arch info on page above was very nice.  I'm very used to CVS and
   not yet an arch weenie, and I was able to check out the whole
   multi-tree with no pain from the commands as given.
   (It would be cool to give them in a cut/pastable shell script form,
   so you can just cut from browser to shell and be done, but it was
   easy enough.)

3) autogen.sh in guile-gnome chokes if . is not in PATH.  Of course,
   . should never be in PATH :-) It just needs ./ added in a few
   places.  Let me know if you would like a diff.

4) autogen.sh runs configure; this was surprising but on a reread of
   README implied.  I expected autogen to just set up for configure,
   not run it, and perhaps saying that arguments for configure should
   be given to autogen.sh would help.

5) I donwloaded g-wrap 1.9.2, the latest release on the web page:

  http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/

On reading the README, I find that I have to get

  Guile-Lib >= 0.1.2, http://home.gna.org/guile-lib

Via that page, there's a missing link to a download area:

  http://download.gna.org/guile-lib/daily/

I then found the regular release area, and will continue.

It would really help to clean up bad links on the web pages and be
more clear about prereqs.  I realize why its good to split things out,
and am just trying to convey the experience of a non-hard-core user
trying to build guile-gnome.  If I weren't such a Scheme fan I would
have given up and found other things to play with by now.

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>