guile-gtk-general

New bindings: gnome-vfs, gconf; new tarball

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: New bindings: gnome-vfs, gconf; new tarball
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:10:09 +0200

Hey all,

I added a couple of bindings to the platform. gnome-vfs is, well, a vfs,
but the cool thing is that the wrapset makes scheme ports out of the
GnomeVFSHandle objects. Thus, you can:

(with-input-from-port (gnome-vfs-open "http://gnu.org/"; 'read)
  (lambda () (read))

(with-output-to-port (gnome-vfs-create "ftp://user:address@hidden/file";)
  (lambda () (write "hi"))

Kinda neat, although I can't figure out what incantation is necessary to
sftp a file. Anyhoo. You should be able to seek, tell, flush, etc. --
everything you can do on a normal file port.

GConf is an easier wrapper. GConfValues are represented with native
scheme values, and there's a special wrapper for
gconf_client_notify_add.

Neither of them are tested very well -- I'm going to write a little app
to post scaled photos to a blog, and hopefully that will shake out the
bugs.

Otherwise, there are just a few bugfixes. The only other change is that
I'm moving to have the .defs files in the defs category to be completely
generated. That required a few tweaks to h2defs.py, some to load-defs,
etc. I also wrote some tools to diff defs, in defs/tools.

Ah, another thing. There's a `template' category now, that is a template
for new bindings. There's a script in its toplevel, `templatize', that
will create a new category for $1, branching it from the template
category, and doing all the right substitutions. Pretty easy to bind new
libraries now.

When I can convert all of our defs over to the autogenerated framework,
we will have wrapped Gnome 2.8. For that reason, future prereleases will
be versioned 2.7.9X. For now I released off of my branch, so it has a
date+wingo version.

http://download.gna.org/guile-gnome/releases/pre/guile-gnome-platform-20041009+wingo.tar.gz

Cheers,
--