gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] autostart on Debian

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] autostart on Debian
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:22:06 +0100

Dear David
Thanks for the hint. I had read your notes but they did not help. You
write under /Configuring gpsd to auto-start/: edit the file
/etc/default/gpsd

Well the file is not there considered you use your self-built gpsd and
had the standard old gpsd uninstalled. You have to create the file yourself.

Then you write to move the gpsd.service file using $mv

The better way is probably to leave the file and run $sudo ln -s
/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service to create one or two symlink(s) to that
location.

Then for UART: I found the command enable_uart=1 in /boot/config.txt is
enough, I did not need the dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt

However, I had to disable the serial debugging in /boot/cmdline.txt
manually, rpi-config did not do the job.

Regards

Robin
==================================

Robin,

Thanks for your input. What I wrote was correct at the time I wrote it, but may easily have been overtaken by subsequent changes! I use the gpsd software supplied with Jessie - I've never compiled it myself.

I'm not very familiar with Linux and agree that a link may be a better way than moving or copying a file. Who knows what the clever Linux people will break in the future?

I believe that in the most recent versions of Jessie the need for the dtoverlay may be removed, but it's a moving target right now so I suggest people be prepared to experiment and have a couple of diversions along the way! But it works well once it works.

I've just been playing with a $9 u-blox GPS/PPS board with antenna which appears to work well too, but I haven't been able to find out which u-blox module it uses.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden