gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] autostart on Debian

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] autostart on Debian
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 08:34:43 +0100

Dear Gary
I just spent a few hours finding out how to make GPSD autostart on
Raspbian Jessie. In [1] you write under /Troubleshooting Start at Boot/
to set ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gpsd -N …

Well this does not work under current GPSD and Raspbian. scons puts the
file GPSD in the folder /user/local/sbin/gpsd so you have to adapt that
line.

For troubleshooting I would recommend this:
1st run $systemctl status gpsd.service to see what systemd did with gpsd
2nd run $whereis gpsd to find the path to the file
3rd apply this path in /etc/systemd/system/gpsd.service

BTW: In Wheezy I could still use dpkg-reconfigure gpsd even when I
compiled my own gpsd. Troubleshooting would not be needed in most cases
if dpkg-reconfigure would do things right even in Jessie.

Just my 50 cents.

Regards

Robin

Robin,

I also found the changes made in Jessie made access to the serial port, and getting gpsd to autostart, awkward. I made some notes near the bottom of this page:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-quickstart.html

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
David