gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Suggestions for inexpensive receiver

From: George Sexton
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Suggestions for inexpensive receiver
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 11:15:15 -0600

From: Gary E. Miller [address@hidden]

Are you looking for a GPS mouse, or is a bare GPS board OK?  Internal or External antenna?
A mouse. External antenna. It will be used in a vehicle. We want to set time, and do locations (to the extent such receivers do them).

I would really go with the Garmin GPS 16x-HVS, or the 19x-HVS. You can power them off 12 volts, they're rugged, magnetic mounts are available, and they work well with NTP and GPSD. I just built a 16x-HVS interface board for a raspberry pi, and it's working really well. I used a MAX232 breakout board to downshift the RS-232 to 3.3v TTL. Attached to the pi, the average for the clock offset was under 5uS. Over-thinking the accuracy of the PPS pulse is going to be pretty pointless because your temperature will be all over the place, and that's going to dramatically affect your ability to keep accurate time.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/cOEM-p1.html

Roger Oberholtzer

RST Systems

Office: +46 (0)10-615 6020