Re: [Gnumed-devel] Slightly modified logon gui

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Slightly modified logon gui
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:18:29 +0200

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:38:39 +1000
Richard Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did expect wails of displeasure from that comment (and note I made no
> attempt to put in the checkbox). However at least during the prolonged
> development phase I think we should put it in because one is often
> running/stopping/running etc. It can easily be removed in a production
> version.
If we will eventually remove this feature anyways, why implement it ? Features
that are implemented tend to stay even for no good reason, so I would rather
spend one second to type "any-doc<enter>" every time I start gnumed than code
something that is doomed from the very beginning.

> As for the other emails mentioning that the option button should still be
> there, I disagree because a) the extra amount of space taken up by the other
> combo's is minimal and it doesn't disturb the look of the gui.
The option button was just one possible way to set the details of the backend
list. I dont insist on keeping it there. I think we should go with Karsten's
suggestion and set the details of different profiles in the config file. The
user would then choose one profile instead of a host/database pair. In your
suggestion, users can choose arbitrary combinations of the two, which may lead
to confusion. The reason why I would like to have one field (profile) instead
of two (host/database) has more to do with usability than with space and
beauty.

Hilmar