gnulib-tool-py

[gnulib-tool-py] gnulib-tool vs pygnulib: application vs module

From: Dmitriy Selyutin
Subject: [gnulib-tool-py] gnulib-tool vs pygnulib: application vs module
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 01:03:11 +0400

Hello everyone!

As you know (if you have ever seen the development of gnulib-tool in Python at github.com), we follow the strategy to separate all functional into several scripts to make it more portable and editable. So I've created the basic pygnulib package, which contains several modules. Recently I've thought that it could be a great idea in addition to usual gnulib-tool give the user a possibility to write own scripts basing on functions and classes from pygnulib package. Here are some advantages:
1. It can make life easier, because sequence of commands can even more convenient than commands in the shell.
2. It will give developers ability to control development process without adding specific options to gnulib-tool.
3. It can be much easier for people who used to use Python and similar languages for some years.

What do you think about this idea? If it is a good one, it would be better to say it now, when the development process is at beginning. It will be hard to implement this feature later.
What does that really mean: we can kill two birds with one stone.

I need to know your opinion. It will be great if anyone who develop gnulib at the moment will say what he thinks about this idea. Thanks!