Re: [gnugo-devel] Gnugo difficulty scale?

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Gnugo difficulty scale?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 21:24:45 +0100

David C. Hurd wrote:
>     Please forgive me for asking such a dull-witted question but in the
> difficulty slider from 1-10 which is the most difficult end?  I'm
> thinking 10 is but when I play with a 6 stone handicap (I'm pretty much
> a rank beginner) any number in the slider seems to be the same
> difficulty of play.

If the interface you're using has a slider marked difficulty it's
probably somewhat misleading. Most likely it determines GNU Go's level
setting which is not primarily about difficulty but about speed. The
higher the level the slower it plays (and the scale doesn't stop at
10). Presumably slower play should be stronger but empirically the
difference doesn't seem to be more than a couple of stones.

/Gunnar