Re: [gnugo-devel] Two reading mistakes

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Two reading mistakes
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 21:12:40 +0100

Seo Sanghyeon wrote:
> However, I believe GNU Go made reading mistakes in two attached games.
> In the first game, it seems to believe the corner group to be alive
> after E1.

Correct. Most likely the problem is with the evaluation of the
eyespace in the corner, in particular the cutting points. This is a
known type of weakness, but nevertheless good to have another example.

> In the second game, it seems to believe  that B3 can kill
> the white at the corner.

Yes, it fails to consider the right reply to B3 (and the pattern
matching B3 is a bit suspect as well). To see what moves are
considered you can do
gnugo -l 02.sgf -L 35 --decide-dragon E3 -o vars.sgf
and then inspect the variations in vars.sgf

> I played with 3.7.7 as packaged in Debian unstable. By the way, where
> can I get the latest development version?

See http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html
If you want the very latest you should check out the current sources
from CVS, also described on the web page.

> Is this kind of bug reporting a good way to help GNU Go development?

Yes, in particular when the mistakes are as clear as here. Even more
helpful is to report them at http://trac.gnugo.org/ to avoid that they
end up lost in the mail archive. I have added this report as
http://trac.gnugo.org/gnugo/ticket/80

/Gunnar