Re: [open-cobol-list] Skipping over labels in SCREEN SECTION.

From: Kevin Monceaux
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Skipping over labels in SCREEN SECTION.
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:09:22 -0500

John,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 09:54:32AM -0400, john Culleton wrote:

> Just getting started with Screen Section. The display I want
> includes label fields and data entry fields. I want the screen to
> skip over the label fields when I hit the tab key and only pause
> at the data entry fields. How is this accomplished?

Have you read the screen descriptions section of the OpenCOBOL Programmer's
Guide?  It's available at:

    http://OpenCOBOL.Add1ToCOBOL.com/OpenCOBOL%20Programmers%20Guide.pdf

> Is there a way to mark a field as read-only?

Look at items 16-19 on page 5-19.  If it's a static label that you won't be
changing, you can use something like:

           03  FILLER                   PIC X(5)
               LINE 4
               COLUMN 5
               FOREGROUND-COLOR BLUE HIGHLIGHT
               BACKGROUND-COLOR BLACK
               VALUE "Name:".

If you want to be able to change it, use something like:

           03  FILLER                   PIC X(5)
               LINE 4
               COLUMN 5
               FOREGROUND-COLOR BLUE HIGHLIGHT
               BACKGROUND-COLOR BLACK
               FROM SOME-WORKING-STORAGE-VARIABLE.

> Do I click on needed fields with the mouse?

No, nothing slows down a data entry operator more than having to reach for
a mouse.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.