Re: [open-cobol-list] Skipping over labels in SCREEN SECTION.

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Skipping over labels in SCREEN SECTION.
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:05:34 -0400

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:54:32 -0400, john Culleton <address@hidden> wrote:

Just getting started with Screen Section. The display I want
includes label fields and data entry fields. I want the screen to
skip over the label fields when I hit the tab key and only pause
at the data entry fields. How is this accomplished? Do I use two
screen sections, one overlaying the other? Is there a way to mark
a field as read-only? Do I click on needed fields with the mouse?
Do I ensure that the label fields are totally filled with a VALUE
to start?

Inquiring minds want to know.

John;  when you describe SCREEN SECTION fields there are

PICTURE ...
    USING field (read/write)
    FROM  field (read only)
    TO    field (write only)

And I've found, that for the most part, OpenCOBOL does commonsensical things once laid out.

Gary's guide and his compiler control program OCic.cbl, contain very good examples of the SCREEN feature set.

Cheers,
Brian