gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] What to do with bugs?

From: Mikael Hakman
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] What to do with bugs?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:01:46 +0200

Hello Raif,

On Saturday, 20 September, 2003 18.16, Raif S. Naffah wrote

> hello Mikael,

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:08 am, Mikael Hakman wrote:
>> Hello everybody - this is my first posting to this list.
>>
>> What do you do if you think you discovered some bugs in a few classes
>> and you can pinpoint the exact location of bugs and perhaps even
>> propose a fix? Background to this question is that I don't want to
>> spend time fixing things that maybe other people have fixed already
>> but aren't in the "stable" distribution yet. Affected classes are
>> mostly within the JCE adapter and/or JCE itself.

> the minimum is to report the bug and describe the environment to help
> reproduce it.

> the next best thing is to include in the report a test-case that fails
> the expected outcome, and if possible --the optimal way ;-)-- a patch.
> this way the test-case can be used to show the before- and after-patch
> effects.

Ok, let's try with the minimum - maybe these are known bugs.

1. gnu.crypto.jce.cipher.CipherAdapter

engineUpdate(byte[] in, int inOff, int inLen, byte[] out, int outOff)

It does not update partBlock/partLen correctly when inLen<blockSize.
In particular when inLen=1 as is the case when using JCE CipherStreams
only the very last block is processed. There are bugs in several places
in this function.

2. gnu.crypto.jce.cipher.CipherAdapter

engineDoFinal(byte[] input, int off, int len)

Errors when decrypting when len<(len of actual padding) - some or all pad
bytes has already been processed in such case, in particular when parameter
len=0. This happens when application calls e.g. doFinal() after is has
processed the whole input.

3. This is not related to the code but to padding spec - what happens when
an encrypted file has a blockSize-integral length and its very last bytes
look like padding bytes would, had the file been somewhat shorter?

4. My environment

I'm using source dist of gnu-crypto ver 1.1.0 in Eclipse IDE. There are
few problems with dist w.r.t Eclipse but this is not critical right now.

5. What are gpg commands to get the envelope you are providing? Is there
any plugin for OE that can automatically pack-in/pack-out emails?

Thanks,
Mikael