Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch moves to GPL v3 or later

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch moves to GPL v3 or later
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 13:34:37 -0700

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > A project (like Emacs) gets to a stage of development

If you want to go there, I'd be happy to :-), but please note that I
was not talking about the Great Fork of 1994, I was talking about the
*present* state of affairs where XEmacs developers regularly merge code
from Emacs with minimal effort or discussion, while Emacs developers
generally do not consider using XEmacs code at all unless the author
is easily available to sign an assignment.

Sure, two issues got conflated in the discussion.   That was the main
disconnect between you and Alfred (that plus some confusion about
the law) and I was commenting on some of the issues that Alfred raised
but that weren't exactly responsive to what you were saying.

Stefan will probably put it a bit differently, as I believe he
personally has done some reverse synching, but I'm pretty sure he will
confirm that the legal hurdles are much lower and the amount of code
synching much higher in the Emacs -> XEmacs direction than the reverse.
I doubt he will deny that the legal hurdles are a big factor in
reducing the reverse sync flow to a trickle.

Both are long overdue for a complete rewrite, though :-)