[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Generating *context* diffs out of changesets

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Generating *context* diffs out of changesets
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:46:40 +0000 (UTC)

Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Emilio Lopes wrote:
>
>>    - patch 40 implemented the first step
>>
>>    - patch 41 was an update from CVS
>>
>>    - patch 42 implement the second step of the new feature
>>
>> Now I want to send a single *context* diff (generated with 'diff -c')
>> generated out of changesets 40 and 42, ignoring patch 41 of course.
>
> I don't think that's a generally solvable problem if you require that
> changes introduced by 41 not appear.  42 may depend on the changes
> introduced by 41.

OK, that's right.  I see the problem now.

>> How, if at all, can I accomplish this with tla?
>
> One option is to take a CVS tree, replay patch-40 and patch-42 into it,
> and do normal diff against a revlib or pristine tree
>
> [...]

Thanks for the examples, it helps a lot.  It seems I'll have to write some
scripts to automate these tasks.

> It's also easier if you use unified diffs instead of context diffs,
> because the output of 'tla changes -diffs ' or 'tla delta --diffs' is a
> valid patch.

Yes, I noted that.  But at the other side of the line are human beings who
read my patches in order to decide if they will be actually accepted or
not.  And they prefer to read context diffs.

Thanks again for your answer.