[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Generating *context* diffs out of changesets

From: Emilio Lopes
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Generating *context* diffs out of changesets
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:22:14 +0000 (UTC)

Matthieu Moy writes:

>> Emilio Lopes <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Now I want to send a single *context* diff (generated with 'diff -c')
>> generated out of changesets 40 and 42, ignoring patch 41 of course.
>
> Not sure this is really meaningfull. What you want is a diff between
> you and the uptream, which you can do by doing a checkout of the
> uptream and a "diff", after merging from the uptream off course.

No, because my project also contains other changesets, which I don't want
to submit (now or at all).

Here is how I currently work: I have one project, which is shared between CVS
and
Arch.  All I do in this project is basically

   cvs update
   tla commit -s "Update from CVS"

I do *not* make any edit on this project.

Then I have another Arch project, branched from the first one, where I do
make my changes.  This is an Arch-only project.  To effectively update this
project from upstream I do a star-merge from the "amphibious" one.

And of course, I always update from upstream before generating patches.

>> How, if at all, can I accomplish this with tla?
>
> If you really want that, create a tag of patch-39, replay patch-40 and
> patch-42 and then do the diff, but you may well get conflicts ...

But even them I'll get an unified diff, instead of the context diff the
maintainers of the project want.

I would expect something like this to be every-day business that should be
easy to accomplish.  Maybe I'm working The Wrong Way?

Thanks for your input.