Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:57:58 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

One could understand `update' as:

    TMP = get YOURS
    delta-patch --dir TMP ANCESTOR
    . := TMP

but with an implementation that optimizes it, often to:

        [1] undo ANCESTOR
        [2] replay ANCESTOR ... YOURS
        [3] redo

If we ever want tla to behave properly when tagging and commits are mixed, it's essential to follow ancestry, not namespace relationships. So we need to let go of the idea that replay and update are related, or else make replay follow ancestry.

However, I can imagine performance improvements if we were to add "get --clobber" to our quiver. get --clobber would transform the current project tree into the named revision, by overwriting files that differ (and adding, deleting as appropriate).

Then we can do:

tla changes --output ,,tmp
tla get --clobber YOURS
tla dopatch ,,tmp