[Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers
Date: 15 Apr 2004 15:12:35 +0900

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:
> Update also builds ancestor and his.  It builds ancestor to perform the
> undo.  It builds his in the project tree.  Then it applies the delta
> between ancestor and mine to his.

Yes that's the way I use `update' for merges, using the branch
argument.  I like the way conflicts are handled in update.

I think a lot of the merge commands have handy features that would be
nice to combine in more ways.  For instance, sometimes I want to replay
non-contiguous changesets from another branch, so I can't use update,
but would really rather keep updates nice conflict behavior.  I can do
this manually, something like:

   tla undo ANCESTOR
   tla replay ANCESTOR--patch-X  ANCESTOR--patch-Y ...
      # if there are any conflicts due to patch-ordering in ANCESTOR, they
      # might come here
   tla redo
      # now get any local conflicts

The possibility for conflicts before the `redo' probably makes the idea
bundling all this into a single command a bit questionable, but still,
it's what I find myself wanting... :-)

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page