Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:33:33 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I want changeset-application-with-conflicts to be cleanly composable
and somewhat decomposable.

If we only consider diff3 markers, this works fine in 99% of the cases.
The only cases where it might result in ambiguous results is if you merge
two trees which both have conflict markers at the same place in a file.

If a label were attached to conflict markers, they'd be unambiguous for that case, too.

<<<<< 1
la la
<<<<< 2
fa fa
===== 2
tra-la-la
===== 1

Don't ask we where we get the id from, though.

And that doesn't solve to problem that .rej conflicts refer to context that may not be present anywhere in TREE or ANCESTOR.

One thing I like about .rej conflicts is that it's easy to detect them in scripts. But I really would prefer unified diffs.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology