Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: <<< conflict markers
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:04:36 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>

    > BTW, regarding the naming convention, I think tla should be careful to
only
    > use .rej for files containing diff output (or a short explanation of where
    > the reject data was left).  Currently in the case of a "2 file additions
    > conflict" it puts the current file in .orig and the new conflicting add in
    > .rej, which I feel is wrong (and breaks the major-mode selection in Emacs
    > since it's based on the filename's extension).

I agree but I want to fix something else at the same time where the
"something else" is a bit trickier.

I want changeset-application-with-conflicts to be cleanly composable
and somewhat decomposable.

That is, if I have a tree that contains diff3 markers, .rej, etc.  and
I do another star-merge or replay or whatever, I want the resulting
conflict markers to stack up cleanly and be independently removable.

The general idea being that one could then create a branch which
contained auto-merged sources, full of conflicts, but then people
could cooperate to resolve those, using arch as the coordination tool.