Re: [Gnu-arch-users] corrupted binary files

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] corrupted binary files
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:01:06 +0200

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 06:38:00AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     David> Actually, I'm wondering wether cscvs should not use -kb all
>     David> the time.  The CVS keyword substitution is just trouble.
>
> I don't have any firm opinion on this yet. Maybe because the code I am
> using doesn't seem to use keyword substitutions...
>
> However, what will keywords look like with the -kb flag? Will they be
> wrong or empty?

The manual says:

   The `-kb' option available with some CVS commands insures that
   neither line ending conversion nor keyword expansion will be done.

Meaning you get exactly what is stored in the repository.

For projects which actually use keywords, I think you would end up with
the keyword substitution present in the file which was last checked in.
Which would be wrong for some values of "wrong".

For other values of "wrong", keyword substitution is just always wrong,
and "smart" line-ending conversion is always wrong too.

--
                                                            -- ddaa