[Gnu-arch-users] Re: version aliases

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: version aliases
Date: 08 Apr 2004 17:32:00 -0400

>      Once the archive is specified, archive-wide aliases can be used to
>      specify branches and versions. In jblack/ archive, there can be an
>      archive-wide alias "tlacontrib" pointing to "tlacontrib--devo".

How useful would that be?

> A given tree can define several aliases. To prevent silent changes in
> alias resolution within a tree when the archive is changed, in-tree
> aliases take precedence over archive-wide aliases. When trees are
> nested, the aliases in the inner tree take precedence.

In my experience, aliases for nested trees have no relationship to one
another so I don't think it's worth it to bother with any special
nesting consideration.

> In-tree aliases should be versioned independently from the tree itself,
> and stored as a precious data within {arch}. As a bonus, that mixes well

It's not even necessarily useful to version them.  So, to keep things
simple I wouldn't version it at all (and wouldn't keep it in any archive:
it's a user-only thing).

        Stefan