[Gnu-arch-users] Some newbie questions...

From: Elijah Newren
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Some newbie questions...
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:45:45 -0600

Hi,

I'm attempting to learn arch (which appears to be no easy feat, though
all the cool descriptions of it are encouraging me to press on).  I have
read many entries on the wiki, the Hello World arch tutorial, and a few
other sites.  I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find
the answers to via those sites or google:

1)
http://regexps.srparish.net/tutorial-tla/naming-conventions.html#Customizing_the_inventory_Naming_Conventions
claims that .arch-inventory can contain regexp declarations just like
the ones in =tagging-method, and it explicitly lists excludes as one of
the possibilities.  However, everytime I try to use it, I get a "These
files would be source but lack inventory ids" on the relevant files when
running 'tla tree-lint'

I decided to also try modifying {arch}/=tagging-method, to no avail.
For kicks, I decided to remove entries from the exclude regexp in the
=tagging-method file to see if I could get more warnings from 'tla
tree-lint'.  I couldn't.  It appears to me that tla has hardcoded the
exclude regexp and ignores the actual regexp(s) found in these files.
Is this true, or am I just missing something?

2)
I'm a little confused about the categorizations.  exclude, precious,
junk, and backup all seem very similar to me (mainly because the
tutorial says that arch will only ever delete/overwrite files that begin
with the letters ',,' so one of the main differences isn't really a
difference).  There is one difference to precious, but I don't
understand it at all.  The tutorial says files marked precious should be
copied/preserved, but how exactly is that done if it's not tracked in
the archive?  I saw something about 'local copying', but I don't
understand where or why that would be done.  Could someone explain this
to me?

3) I have a bunch of cvs projects, basically created by:
     mkdir ~/cvs
     cvs -d ~/cvs init
     -do lots of cvs imports for different projects, so that
      ~/cvs has multiple subdirectories-
What's the arch equivalent to those project names (i.e. subdirectory
names under ~/cvs)?  Is it the archive name (i.e. the
'address@hidden' in the tutorial), the category
('hello-world' in the tutorial), or something else?

Thanks for your time,
Elijah