Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tre

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tree root id?)
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:49:47 +0200

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 16:28:50 +0200, Ben Burns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to find out if the tree root can have an arch id tag like any other
> file and directory in the source tree. I have heard arch does not use it. If
> not, how can arch know that a downstream source has moved a directory to the
> tree-root? So that any file or directory added to the upstream directory
> would be included in merges in the downstream's tree root.
>
> If so, how can you do it,
>     # tla mv some/dir .
> obviously wouldn't work (will create dir in the tree root), whereas
>     # tla mv some/dir/* .
> will drop upstream additions to dir.
>
> On the otherhand
>     # tla add .
> does seem to work.
>
> I would think that being able move id tagged directories to the root would be
> useful for splitting large upstream trees into smaller ones buildable with
> configs.

There is exactly one tree root in a branch. Thus it can't be moved and
does not need (nor use) tag. If you mv some/dir/* . you move each file
in some/dir to ., not some/dir itself.

If you split large tree to configs, each subtree is _completely
separate_ from arch's point of view. You can't move files between them
-- they will be removed from one and added in the other.

tla add . works simply because it's quite simple-minded.

> P.S: This didn't get sent yesterday, so I had a chance to think this through
> little more. I think the proper way to split a large tree into a smaller one
> would be to branch the current tree, init-tree in the directory you want
> using the new branch and make-sync-tree with the new branch. Committing the
> resulting branch should make the new version updateable (starmergable?) from
> the big tree without errors. Syncing the big tree with this revision should
> mean the big tree can starmerge future patches from the small tree too.
>
> So, does arch use the id in the tree-root if it exists? Will this work? Some
> at #arch didn't seem to think so.

The tree-root is not part of the branch. It's container for the
checked-out tree. Arch won't (and shouldn't) ever look at it's id.

However, what you described above should work as expected -- just
attributes for the directory won't be recorded. But since files will be
matched by tags no matter what directory they are in, patches will find
the right place to apply to.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>