[Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tree ro

From: Ben Burns
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tree root id?)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:28:50 +0200

Hi,

I wanted to find out if the tree root can have an arch id tag like any other
file and directory in the source tree. I have heard arch does not use it. If
not, how can arch know that a downstream source has moved a directory to the
tree-root? So that any file or directory added to the upstream directory
would be included in merges in the downstream's tree root.

If so, how can you do it,
    # tla mv some/dir .
obviously wouldn't work (will create dir in the tree root), whereas
    # tla mv some/dir/* .
will drop upstream additions to dir.

On the otherhand
    # tla add .
does seem to work.

I would think that being able move id tagged directories to the root would be
useful for splitting large upstream trees into smaller ones buildable with
configs.

P.S: This didn't get sent yesterday, so I had a chance to think this through a
little more. I think the proper way to split a large tree into a smaller one
would be to branch the current tree, init-tree in the directory you want
using the new branch and make-sync-tree with the new branch. Committing the
resulting branch should make the new version updateable (starmergable?) from
the big tree without errors. Syncing the big tree with this revision should
mean the big tree can starmerge future patches from the small tree too.

So, does arch use the id in the tree-root if it exists? Will this work? Some
at #arch didn't seem to think so.

Thanks,
Ben