Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:40:48 +0100

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:44:30PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> All development happens on foo--devel--0.7.  When 0.7.0 is released,
> it is tagged as foo--release--0.7.0.  Bug fixes to the 0.7 branch
> continue on foo--devel--0.7, with later tags foo--release--0.7.1 and
> so on.  There are never any commits on the foo--release branch.

A branch that never has any commits is probably not useful.

> I guess what I'm trying to achieve is something equivalent to cvs
> symbolic tags, which I'm used to.  If you see better ways of doing
> that, I'm all ears.

CVS symbolic tags map precisely to configurations. They are almost
certainly what you are looking for.

Here's part of my dists/configs/ tree:

|-- tla
|   |-- debian
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.1-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.3-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.4-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.6+1.1-candidate0-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.6-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.6-2
|   |   |-- tla-1.0.6-3
|   |   |-- tla-1.1-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.2-1
|   |   |-- tla-1.2-2
|   |   |-- tla.integration
|   |   `-- tla.lord
|   `-- upstream
|       |-- tla-1.0.1
|       |-- tla-1.0.3
|       |-- tla-1.0.4
|       |-- tla-1.0.6
|       |-- tla-1.0.6+1.1-candidate0
|       |-- tla-1.1
|       |-- tla-1.2
|       |-- tla.integration
|       `-- tla.lord

[Here the last two in each directory are 'floating' tags, that follow
the latest version on a particular set of branches; the rest are tags
of specific versions]

> Oh, by the way: there are two things that are easy with cvs that I
> couldn't work out how to do with arch without checking out at least
> one old version.  One is
>
>   cvs diff -r FOO_0_7_0 -r FOO_0_7_1
>
> which allows me to get a patch between two old versions.

tla delta

> The other is
> to generate a patch in which all file deletions and moves are made
> explicit with suppressions and additions.  In short, I'm looking for
> an efficient way to do:
>
>   tla get foo--release--0.7.0 ,foo-0.7.0
>   tla get foo--release--0.7.1 ,foo-0.7.1
>   diff -urN -x '*/{arch}/*' ,foo-0.7.0 ,foo-0.7.1
>   rm -rf ,foo-0.7.0 ,foo-0.7.1

Doesn't exist. But tla show-changeset --diffs is pretty close, on the
thing you just created with delta. It will likely be equivalent in
1.3, although maybe not with precisely the same command.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |