Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:28:27 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > A branch that never has any commits is probably not useful.

A branch of nothing but tags is most certainly useful.

    > CVS symbolic tags map precisely to configurations. They are almost
    > certainly what you are looking for.

Yes, but:

Configurations lack referential transparency.   A configuration file
can change at any time.

Let's say I want to write in my "Big Book of Releases We've Made" the
exact contents of release 1.0 and be able to look it up years later.

I'll need two things:  a config name, and an arch revision name of a
revision that contains that exact config.   The revision name is what
disambiguates the config name.

You don't _have_ to use `tag' to generate the revision name that
you'll use to identify a particular state of a particular config --
but it's exaggerating to say it would never be useful to do so.

    > Doesn't exist. But tla show-changeset --diffs is pretty close,
    > on the thing you just created with delta. It will likely be
    > equivalent in 1.3, although maybe not with precisely the same
    > command.

If you're thinking of working on that, it'd be helpful to make the
changes in `changeset-report' and do a little call-graph analysis to
float an option up to all commands that could use the feature.