Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:24:38 +0100

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

>     > If GPL v3  looks like the BSD (which I'm sure  won't happen ;-), then,
>     > GPL v3 will be compatible with GPL v2, removing some restrictions.
>

> I suppose that you're right in a strange technical sense.  V3 could be
> written as, for example, the version of the BSD license without the
> obnoxious advertising clause.

OK: I didn't insist enough on the "Which I'm sure won't happen".

The important message was "GPL v3 can be less restrictive than GPL v2,
and still  be GPL v2  compatible". BSD licence  is just an  example of
(much) less restrictive but still compatible with the GPL.

Clearly, the FSF allways encourraged copylefted licenses, so, I'm sure
GPL v3 will be copylefted.

GPL compatibility is discussed here for example

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

So, my conclusion :

* GPL v2 and GPL v3 *may* be compatible

* But yes, GPL v2+ and GPL v3 *will* be compatible, so, it's better to
  use this option to make the code reuseable.

--
Matthieu