Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:15:58 +0000

On 22 Mar 2004 13:55:37 -0500, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

> Hypothetically, would it be legal (in everyone's IANAL opinion, or IAAL
> as the case may be) to say the following:
>
>       This work is currently licensed under GPL v2.  Contributing to
>       this work means you release your changes under the GPL v2, and
>       additionally allow them to be relicensed under any future
>       version of the GPL at the sole discretion of the official
>       project maintainers.
>
> ... and declare maintainer(s) officially?
>
> Seems to me this would combine the best of both worlds -- careful
> 'holding pattern' for the current GPL, and a provision to allow upgrades
> if the maintainer(s) deem them safe.

This still disallows me or anyone else to mix it with any GPL v2+ work.

The only constructive solution (without a fork) that could actually work
for everyone is the one I suggested and that was strongly opposed:

  Existing copyrighted information on this Wiki is licensed under the GNU
  General Public License, version 2. By editing this wiki, you release
  your contributions under the GNU General Public License; version 2 or
  (at your option) any later version is license.

And then work out the license of every existing page with all its authors.

Regards,
Mikhael.