Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:13:53 -0700

Remember "The buck stops here"?  Now we have, "it's the CIA's fault"
instead.

  Actually, my interpretation is that even Saddam thought he had WMD.

What David Kay found was that the scientists had been taking Saddam's
money, but only pretending to work.

  So really, its Saddam's fault...

All Kay did was confirm reports from previous inspectors.

 Not entirely true. Here's an interesting article.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2094415/

With a quote:

"In the Times interview, Kay does add one dimension to his taleā€”and it is the newest, most intriguing aspect of them all. In the late 1990s, it seems, Saddam took personal control of Iraq's WMD program. As a result, Iraqi scientists started going to him directly with proposals of fanciful weapons systems, for which Saddam paid them heaps of money. As Kay puts it, the WMD program turned into a "vortex of corruption." Saddam was deluded with fantasies; the scientists pocketed the money and filed phony progress reports on fake weapons systems.

Kay says the CIA's biggest failure lay in missing this internal deception. Though the Times piece doesn't say so, it's quite likely that the CIA itself was deceived, intercepting some of these phony reports and treating them as credulously as Saddam did. In any case, in the Times interview, Kay calls for an overhaul in the way the agency processes intelligence."

 Here's the times interview, which unfortunately, you'd have to pay for:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html? res=F50817F63C5C0C758EDDA80894DC404482

 but here's the senate briefing about the issue by him:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/01/28/kay.transcript/