Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] the poetry of donald rumsfeld
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:16:21 -0700

On Mar 18, 2004, at 2:46 PM, Tom Lord wrote:

So, here's the news item (and i use that term advisedly):

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/17/15138/5087

  The kung fu styles are much funnier:

http://www.poe-news.com/features.php?feat=31845

(The US now has a huge base in the middle east.  We win, haha.  Look
no further (except to note that iraq was notably weak) for an
understanding of why we went to war.  I'm personally quite uncertain
that that was a bad idea.  But jeeze, I wish they would just say that,
straight up.  So I'll do it for them.)

Its not kosher for the "President" (by which I mean, Bush, Clinton or Bush) to say:

  "Saddam is crazier then a sackful of weasels. He has to go."

Something about not having the leader of your country insult the leader of another country, or something. We could probably say it now, but no one cares.

The focus on the WMD issue irritates me, because I took the time to read all the state department briefings rather then be told what to think by the media, not to mention pages and pages of personal research. Our decision to go into Iraq was quite complicated and agonizing, and there was more then one reason. Worries about WMD was a good chunk of it, but the briefings made it clear that it was _uncertainty_ about WMD, coupled with certainty he was crazy. The media kind of lost that in the process of editing things into sound bites.

In fact, its too bad that all of the issues in our society that can't be boiled down into sound bites end up as problems. The political campaigns aren't helping either, since their messages boil down to "us good, them bad". The reality is shades of grey. You can pick any issue (women, environment, terrorism) and any president (Clinton, Bush), and they are neither completely good or completely bad.

What I found most interesting was that Madeline Albright's criticism of Bush was not that we invaded Iraq, but rather that we didn't handle the UN as well as we could have. Though considering all the jokes about Texans and Frenchmen, I don't understand why everyone was so surprised...

 Pierce