[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Some plans about arch infrastructure in Perl

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Some plans about arch infrastructure in Perl
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:32:48 +0000

On 12 Mar 2004 11:06:24 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:
> > During the last 2 months I thought about a project of implementing an arch
> > infrastructure in Perl, consisting of several subprojects, for example:
>
> Well, good luck (though I'm certainly never going to use perl).

I hope you mean never going to write perl, not to run perl programs. :)
Anyway, this is hardly important.

> However:
>
> > Why Perl? I think it is an ideal language for any kind of applications:
> >
> >   * it is already installed on every developer system (because, for
> >     example, autoconf and automake use it)
>
> They do?  If so, this must be a recent change, as they never did before...

When I started to use automake and aclocal (6 years ago?), they were perl
programs.  autoconf switched from /bin/sh to perl for all its auto*
scripts (except for autoconf itself).  I think this was done in 2.50.
I see that autoconf-2.13.tar.gz (from 1999) contains autoscan.pl too.

Regards,
Mikhael.