Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some plans about arch infrastructure in Perl

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some plans about arch infrastructure in Perl
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:25:06 +0000

On 11 Mar 2004 21:45:26 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>
> > * axp - command line tool and wrapper for tla (Arch eXtended by Perl)
>
> aba's just 106 lines, and it would probably be shorter in Perl.  You'd
> get 37 (and counting) extension commands for free, but since I don't
> know Perl, I'd probably keep maintaining aba too.

Aaron, I am sure you are not the only person who may be disappointed by
this message. I want to make it clear.

I wish we have as many tools as the developers are willing to maintain.
This is healthy for arch. These kinds of things are hard to be envisioned.

The more developers work on different aspects of Arch infrastructure, the
stronger lobby we have to request changes/fixes in the arch core. So, we
are on the same boat.

Regarding aba. Honestly, I didn't use it, but I really like some its
sub-commands you posted on this list. I like tla-tools and others too.
My problem is I don't believe in /bin/sh as the language for powerful,
unbreakable by bogus input, configurable, extendable, debug-able scripts.
There are currently 3 appropriate languages I may think about.

> Actually, I haven't tried Python, but it sounds more like my kind of
> language.

Python is very nice language. Ruby is brilliant too. Still, I have _very_
good reasons to prefer Perl, the ones I listed are only a small part.

Anyway, let's be real, at this point these are mostly just plans.

Regards,
Mikhael.