Re: [Gnu-arch-users] case preserving vs. case insensitive

From: Karl Waclawek
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] case preserving vs. case insensitive
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:45:37 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pierce T.Wetter III" <address@hidden>
To: "Robert Anderson" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 9:02 AM

>    Tom> I have trouble taking case insensitive filesytems seriously.
>    Pierce> English is case InSeNsiTIVE, so having a file system as such
> makes perfect
>            sense from the users point if few, even if its all more work
> from a programming
>            point of view.
>
>    Good UI is ALWAYS more programming work.

The main problem is that file names are used for both,
UI presentation as well as internal identification.
These two purposes should have separate implementations,
as they have in any decent database design.

In other words, I can't take file systems seriously
that use the same identifiers internally and externally.

Karl