[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Renaming some tla commands (user interface)

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Renaming some tla commands (user interface)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:11:03 +0000

Hi David,

On Mar 04 2004, David wrote:
> Hi - I'm just starting to fiddle with tla;
> it has lots of very interesting capabilities.

Indeed :)

> it's really bizarre that "move" and "mv"
> do different things; I'd expect them to be the same.

They probably work even more differently than you think; try doing
"tla move foo bar/" and see what happens. To do what you most likely
intended there you'd have to do: "tla move foo bar/foo". Caused me some
interesting headaches as an Arch newbie that. :)

> I suggest making the "-id" only
> work with ids (for both mv and rm); without the "-id", mv and rm
> should work with both id's AND the file(s)/directories specified.
> when explaining a tool, I think it's a good idea to tell users
> the _one_ standard command they _should_ use.
> I suggest the following...
>
> Project Tree Inventory Commands (primary commands):
>
> add
> rm     (removes the file AND id)
> rm-id  (removes JUST the id (i.e., removes it from the inventory))
> mv     (move file(s)/dir AND id)
> mv-id  (move JUST id)

Sounds like good suggestions to me. However, I'd suggest just removing
"mv-id" (currently "move") altogether. It's broken, IMHO.

> Comments?  Sound okay?

Sounds very good to _me_, but I'm no authority here... :)

Stig
--
brautaset.org