Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hi/Looking for something to work on

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hi/Looking for something to work on
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 13:16:10 +0930

On Fri, 14 May 2010 16:38:28 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> b2 schreef:
> > Hello @ll,
> >
> > just wanted to say "hello" to the list.

Welcome in.

> > I already played around with C and Python but never had the
> > opportunity to deepen my knowledge of this languages so I would
> > very much like to work on something to develop some C skills (or
> > Python if this is more necessary).
> >
> > If there is something other that needs to be done strongly, just
> > let me know.
>
> Thanks for your interest. All help is very welcome.
>
> If you want to do programming or packaging then almost any bug in the
> bug trackers ([1], [2]) is worth taking a look at.
>
> Some specific things you could do with Python/C:
>
> * Wiki migration [3] (Python): we want to move from PmWiki to
> MoinMoin. Michael has already done some excellent work on this, but
> it's not finished yet. I should be helping him with it, but I'm
> usually busy with other things.

This would be a great help.

> * Porting Ubiquity to Debian [4] (Python/C): there have been some
> efforts in the past, but nobody's working on it now, afaik.

I would rather see the effort put into testing/fixing live-installer,
the live cd version of debian-installer[0] (c,sh,other?).
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?29135
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?29134
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?28385

Theres also a few changes[1] I'd like to see to merge-o-matic[2], and
to mini-dinstall[3] (python).
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?29075

You'll have to ask delqn if you want to make changes here, hes
currently got the tickets assigned to him.

> Help on X.org (Siliconmotion driver) is also more than welcome, but
> that may be bit much to ask. ;)

I'm waiting for news on this, so perhaps don't jump in here.

[0] http://live.debian.net/devel/live-installer/
[1] few more changes... they're not to good at reviewing...
[2] https://code.launchpad.net/merge-o-matic
[3] http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/mini-dinstall.html
kk

--