Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hi/Looking for something to work on

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hi/Looking for something to work on
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:38:28 +0200

b2 schreef:
Hello @ll,

just wanted to say "hello" to the list.

I would very much like to get involved in gNewSense but don't have an
idea which project would be suitable for me.

I'm already working as a programmer (C#, VB6, etc.) for several years
and would like to do some different programming in my spare time (don't
recommend me anything with Mono or DotGNU for God's sake!!!).

I already played around with C and Python but never had the opportunity
to deepen my knowledge of this languages so I would very much like to
work on something to develop some C skills (or Python if this is more
necessary).

If there is something other that needs to be done strongly, just let me
know.

Thanks for your interest. All help is very welcome.

If you want to do programming or packaging then almost any bug in the bug trackers ([1], [2]) is worth taking a look at.

Some specific things you could do with Python/C:

* Wiki migration [3] (Python): we want to move from PmWiki to MoinMoin. Michael has already done some excellent work on this, but it's not finished yet. I should be helping him with it, but I'm usually busy with other things.

* Porting Ubiquity to Debian [4] (Python/C): there have been some efforts in the past, but nobody's working on it now, afaik.

Help on X.org (Siliconmotion driver) is also more than welcome, but that may be bit much to ask. ;)

[1] http://bugs.gnewsense.org
[2] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=gnewsense
[3] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00330
[4] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/DevelopmentTeam/Ubiquity