Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 20:05:42 -0400

    I think what Richard says would apply more to development in general than
    packaging.  For example if we include a replacement in the default selection
    and a feature is missing, this will encourage developers to implement it;
    if a bug is present, it will encourage people to find it and fix it, etc.

Exactly.

Of course, anyone capable of packaging a program for gNewSense would
know how to install it himself.  The idea is not that they would
find this difficult.

Rather, the idea is to influence what people work on.  There are
people who want to do what's needed and useful, and if we state a
policy, it will influence what they do.

    But of course, we should draw a line somewhere.  I'm not proposing that we
    replace .NET apps unless there's an alternative with reasonably good
quality.

We need to lead, not just follow.
In other words, rather than waiting until a program has a non-C# equivalent
before doing anything about it, we should encourage the development of
the non-C# equivalent.

The most basic requirment for leading is to decline to follow others in
the wrong direction.  In other words, if a program seems important,
we should say it should not be in C#.