Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 17:12:37 +0200

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 09:35:58PM +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Richard Stallman schreef:
>> The best way to encourage people to do the last 5% of the work
>> to get non-C# applications packaged and installed
>> is to refuse to put in the C# applications that have such equivalents.
>>
>> That way, the people who want either such a program included
>> have a reason to help finish and package the non-C# program.
>
> The people who have those skills also know about repositories and how to
> install/remove software, so not including those programs wouldn't
> encourage them (much).

I think what Richard says would apply more to development in general than
packaging.  For example if we include a replacement in the default selection
and a feature is missing, this will encourage developers to implement it;
if a bug is present, it will encourage people to find it and fix it, etc.

But of course, we should draw a line somewhere.  I'm not proposing that we
replace .NET apps unless there's an alternative with reasonably good quality.

--
Robert Millan