Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 21:35:58 +0200

Richard Stallman schreef:
The best way to encourage people to do the last 5% of the work
to get non-C# applications packaged and installed
is to refuse to put in the C# applications that have such equivalents.

That way, the people who want either such a program included
have a reason to help finish and package the non-C# program.

The people who have those skills also know about repositories and how to install/remove software, so not including those programs wouldn't encourage them (much). Non-technical users would judge the distribution by the live CD (and then by the default installation). Features that seem to be missing compared to other distributions for reasons other than the programs being non-free software would impact their judgment and the adoption of gNewSense negatively.

Your concerns about C# are probably valid, but I think the matter is not so urgent that it justifies simply removing the applications. I'm sure it won't take long before we have the patches to replace the applications (probably before our next release, which would make it a non-issue).