Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] device fonts

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] device fonts
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:49:59 +0200

Hello strk,

Saturday, June 16, 2007, 1:53:11 AM, you wrote:
s> I saw AGG supports freetype, so I guess that's where you'd like to
s> go ;)

Frankly I was thinking at OpenGL and that it maybe would be simpler to
use built-in system functions (something like GDI in Windows) in
OpenGL..?

I never looked at the font support in AGG but I'm very satisfied with
the rendering quality of our AGG backend :)

>> After all, use of device fonts is very restricted in PP:
s> Yes, I noticed too. Don't we want to do better than that ? :)

Don't we want to be as much compatible as possible? So the answer
is "no" in the long term...
Maybe we can add a switch to activate enhanced features (matrix
transformations for device fonts).

s> I see. Can you find an example in which AGG fails rendering OS
s> fonts ? If not, maybe we found the bug in OGL ?

I'll check current HEAD once I'm back in the office.

The effect of this problem is that very decorated, with much
ornamentation, fonts show holes where two strokes intersect. Probably
this also depends on the font creation software, which could avoid
such situations (like Flash does).

Doing a quick search I found this font which *potentially* could show
the problem: http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts/c/Cretino.ttf

Udo