Re: [Gnash-dev] device fonts

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] device fonts
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:24:00 +0200

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 03:03:32PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 12:11:33 AM, you wrote:
> s> (NOTE: implement vectorial glyphs rendering for ogl?)
>
> Only with anti-aliasing. Otherwise rendering would be very poor (worse
> than scaling bitmaps)...

I dropped support for textured glyphs from device fonts.
Rationale is that we don't use textured glyphs for embedded fonts either,
which is when the OGL text quality "regression" came out: as you say,
ogl rendering of shapes is not antialiased, so textured glyphs did a better job.

Now, a shape_character_def to texture_glyph *should* be available as a method
somewhere in that horrible fontlib.cpp file. That's what used to work before I
dropped it
(needed to drop to allow playing while loading and not finding a way to cleanup
that pile
of excellent code...

So, if anyone handles to cleanup that code, a generic shape_character_def to
texture_glyph
might be used by OGL to get nice text back, or we can just drop textured glyphs
as a whole and
focus on fixing OGL.

BTW, the current vectorial device font doesn't seem to work at all with OGL,
left/right fill
problem most likely as I saw a similar thing with drawing api.

--strk;