Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] device fonts

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] device fonts
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 01:20:40 +0200

Hello strk,

Friday, June 15, 2007, 8:22:14 PM, you wrote:
s> I guess precision of placement is a separate issue, due to the
s> possibly different metrics found in systems and different fonts
s> being used (font name to actual font filenames matching)

I meant that we could use the standard OS functions to render device
fonts. After all, use of device fonts is very restricted in PP:

o _alpha is ignored
o _rotation != 0 hides the text field completely
o _xscale != 100 changes the size of the bounding box, but not the
   font
o _yscale != 100 scales the font proportionally in *both* directions
o matrix transformations like skew make the text field disappear too

So we have very few requirements for device fonts.

s> Uh ? I think I used the same rules used for embedded glyhps. The
s> only difference being the way we create the paths (SWF-defined for
s> embedded, gnash-defined for OS fonts) which is where I belive OGL
s> fails (it's known to fail with some of our drawing API tests too).

When you look at the AGG code you'll notice that it uses non-zero
filling rule for fonts but even-odd filling rule for other shapes.

That makes a difference for paths that cross other paths, like some
fonts do.

Udo