Re: [Gnash-dev] OpenGL Rendering

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] OpenGL Rendering
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:29:06 +0200

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 01:52:25AM -0400, Quinn Storm wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 22:38:14 strk wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:13:00AM -0400, Quinn Storm wrote:
> > >   * automated testing can be done with osmesa or with an X server present
> > > & the proposed method
> >
> > I'm not really comfortable with automated testing requiring
> > an X server running, unless there's an easy way to run our own
> > "minimal,testing" X server for this purpose.
> >
> > What are the drawbacks of using mesa apart from possibly getting
> > successful results while testing and bogus results while running
> > on certain hw drivers ?
> >
> > --strk;
>
> That's the only drawback that I know of of using software rendering for
> testing, the setup should be near-identical, though we'd skip the accelerated
> TFP rendering since its all in software anyway

We don't need to be fast in testing. Of course testing the interaction
with the actual output device would be nice, but requiring an X server
running would reduce the possibilities of running the tests...

So, my vote goes to mesa for testing, and whatever you find appropriate
for real world runs.

--strk;