Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] alternate for swf files(flash file)

From: vivek shah
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] alternate for swf files(flash file)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:18:01 +0530

On 8/1/07, shourav agrawal <address@hidden> wrote:
> hav never seen ny flash files running on linux operating system

Well, in case you haven't come to my room and I can show you Flash
files running on my Debian GNU/Linux system. :-D

> cc on every linux operating system it says click to download the missing
> plugin.I tried to install macromedia flash but it didn't work....what should
>  it do????

Its not a question of a Linux Server or a Windows server. When you are
putting up your files on web server it is just a file with various
permissions set in, like who can view it and if it is readable or
executable so when you put up your site the flash file is just a file
which is an executable and readable. So when a request comes to the
web server to access the file it just sends the contents of the file
to the browser. It is upto the browser to render it accordingly. Now
initially flash files could be opened only with propreitary software
which could read the appropriate formats. Making a Free Flash  movie
player is not a walk in the park and already a lot of efforts are on
to play the flash files and one of them is Gnash. We will soon install
flash file players in the Comp Centre so that opening Flash files is
not a pain. As far as serving up flash files on Servers is concerned
hope you have understood the difference. Don't worry if it's a
GNU/Linux web server but be at ease as your webpage is in safe hands.
:-D

Regards,
Vivek
--
Put a rogue in the limelight and he will act like an honest man.
                -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"