Re: [glob2-devel] New Features galore (ps: someone else has to merge)

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New Features galore (ps: someone else has to merge)
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 13:49:45 +0200

>  - New No-Ressource-Growth Areas -
>
> Thats right, this is the solution to those horrific "I can't upgrade
> my racetrack bugs". These new areas, again placable like a traditional
> zone from the map editor, restrict ressource growth . Nothing can grow
> from, or into these areas. I haven't changes the tutorial yet, again
> because I don't have a version with the merged translations. I will do
> it as soon as I get internet at my house.

Does that mean that I can put those areas in the towns of my enemies
and watch them starve since their resources do not regrow?
Or do those areas need my globs working on them?

>  - Updated End-Game screen -
>
> The end game screen graph has been signifigantly improved. Among the
> new features includes time scaling, and amount marks. As well, you can
> disable and enable particular teams to be drawn. And, if you move your
> mouse pointer close to the lines on the graph, it will give you the
> value of that position. These improvements make a siginifigant
> contribution to the usability of the end-game screen graphs.

I would like to work on the statistics - after I have got enough time to
improve the gradient calculation algorithm.

I think we need to store a lot more data to boost the significance of
the End-Game statistics.  I don't know how large the amount of memory
for the statistics data is.  But if it is much, we can put options into
the settings menu, which control what kind of data will be stored and
how long the time period and intervals are.

One thing we should implement is a "save End-Game statistics" button.
Then you can compare your games.  Together with training missions
against an AI this will help newbees to develop counter strategies.
The AI should have an option for a known constant behavior scheme - like
train 50 level 2 warriors and then attack.  And if that fails 3 times
try fruit, ...
Since we don't have game playbacks the statistics is all there is
to remind you of all the incidents that happend during the game.

An option to mark special times during the game might be nice.
An Ai could mark when it decides to go to war.  And the player
mark the time when he notices the enemy's army on their way.
The difference tells you something about your recon.

ps:
We should propose more Junior Jobs.  I think most of us only
have a few hours per month to spend on glob2 development.
And the Road Map page (http://globulation2.org/wiki/Road_Map) is
not the right place for this.
How about a special Junior Jobs page?  (Or a tracker.)
Directly linked to the "You Can Help!" on our main page.

I propose:

Options in the settings menu:
What kind of data will be stored for the statistics
How often will this data be stored.
  (That is all of it, or every nth turn.)
How much history there will be: 1 hour, 2 hours, ...

The corresponding data collection during the game:
Per team amount of:
 buildings (for each kind and level): ready, being upgraded (constructed).
 units (for each kind and level): ready to work, working, starving.
 jobs offered, taken (for each kind and level)
 total available food (in inns).
 total available stones (in turrets).
 visible area.
 units (for each kind and level) that team killed - from team 1, team 2
 units (for each kind and level) that team gained by inns - from team 1, ...
 buildings (for each kind and level) that you destroyed - from team 1 , ...
 harvested resources.
 cleared resources.
 maybe: average time between resource harvest and its application.
 maybe: average time between upgrade and its application.
        (wouldn't make sence for speed upgrades, but maybe for attack.)

"Load/Save statistics" button in the End Game Screen.
And a change button, to switch between this game's statistics
and the loaded ones.

Option to mark a time during the game - and optional: store a few words.

--
Kai Antweiler