[Glob2-devel] Re: DMCA & bnetd

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Glob2-devel] Re: DMCA & bnetd
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:31:15 -0700 (MST)

    I'm a swiss citizen and the swiss law protects reverse engeneering. We are
    not in europa so there is no patent problem right now and we don't have any
    law like DMCA. So I propose to create an "us-illegal" server in Switzerland
    that can store stuff that are illegal due to DMCA, for instance DeCSS and
    bnetd.

I think that it is a good idea to set up a site for bnetd.  But if you
do it, please do NOT say that bnetd is illegal under the DMCA.

As far as I know, bnetd is a product that interoperates with
Battle.net.  The DMCA does not prohibit this.  Rather, the DMCA makes
it easy to censor someone with unjustified accusations of copyright
infringement.

It is very important NOT to associate bnetd with any programs that
really are prohibited by the DMCA, such as DeCSS.  If you did that,
you would help the smear campaign against bnetd.  You would be saying
that the bnetd case is similar to that of DeCSS.