[Glob2-devel] DMCA & bnetd

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: [Glob2-devel] DMCA & bnetd
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:06:34 +0100

Hello all,

This email is speaking about the shutdown of the Bnetd Battle.net free
software replacement deamon.
(see slashdot : http://slashdot.org/articles/02/02/21/0136256.shtml?tid=127 )
It is forwarded to RMS (for the philosophical side) and to the webmaster of
bnetd (for the practical side).

As a Real-Time Strategy free software game developper I'm highly concerned
about this, and as a (ex) Blizzard's game lover I'm even more.

2 mounth ago I hesitated to use bnetd for my free software project and
finally I didn't do it because I wanted to see how I can code a meta server.
The result is an extremly easy and less featured protocol that can be found
in the glob2 CVS here :
http://www.ysagoon.com/glob2/

I'm a swiss citizen and the swiss law protects reverse engeneering. We are
not in europa so there is no patent problem right now and we don't have any
law like DMCA. So I propose to create an "us-illegal" server in Switzerland
that can store stuff that are illegal due to DMCA, for instance DeCSS and
bnetd.

I have a DeCSS mirror on my account at school :
http://diwww.epfl.ch/~smagnena/
and I can put bnetd if it's not too heavy.

Does anyone has any idea if it is legal to link to a Swiss site containing
"us-illegal" DeCSS content from for instance slashdot ?

Thanks,

I'll be very happy to hear your reactions

Stephane Magnenat