gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Fw: midnight commander

From: A. Gordon
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Fw: midnight commander
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:21:18 +0200

My two cents about some of the issues raised by Pavel:
Begin forwarded message:
Subject: Re: midnight commander

Just a few impressions from version 1.1.7.
<...>
It's actually a good idea to use C++ - it's better suited for GUI than
plain C.
While Qt/KDE are natively written in C++, GTK and Gnome are natively written in
C.

There are C++ libraries for GTK/Gnome, but moving Gnome-Commander to C++ is more-or-less rewriting it from scratch. IMHO C++ is not "better suited" (and neither "less suited") for GUI - it is just a different language. GTK (and to some lesser extent, gnome-commander) is very object-oriented, even if it isn't written in C++.

Do you need libtool?  Wouldn't it be better to use convenience
non-installable libraries?  Every installable library means having an
API, and this can be an impediment for GUI developers.
I don't see the problem of installable libraries... who are the "GUI developers" that are impeded by these libraries ? If anything - libraries are good - they promote code reuse (for example: the internal viewer library can be used by other projects, and the API is easy to use, with both examples and documentation in the gnome-commander tarball).
Obviously you don't have an embedded terminal.  I think it's a must for
a file manager.
I speak only for myself here, but I believe that a program needs to one thing, and do it well.
A File manager is not a terminal program.
There is command line entry box, and you can open a terminal window by pressing SHIFT+ENTER (instead of ENTER). Embedding a full terminal window (like in Krusader) is not a top priority in my opinion.
"Quick Search" without a shortcut is a joke.  It will never be "quick"
is it involves menu navigation.
"Quick Search" works by pressing CTRL+ALT+LETTER.
I'm currently working on a version with ALT+LETTER as a quick search trigger.

F3 should do something more useful on directories.

Agreed.
Midnight Commander treats F3 (view) as "enter" on directories.
Krusader simply ignores "view" command on directories.
Suggestions are welcomed.
There are random crashes when trying to use SMB.  Please use Valgrind to
fix memory problems.

If you've found bugs, please help us by submitting bug reports on bugzilla (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=gnome-commander).

Thanks for your input!

Assaf.