gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Fw: midnight commander

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Fw: midnight commander
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:44:56 +0100

| There is command line entry box, and you can open a terminal window by
| pressing SHIFT+ENTER (instead of ENTER).

That is what counts. I can do 'sh SHIFT ENTER" and there it is.

However, maybe Pavel was also thinking of opening a stderr/stdout
'monitor/log' console ? That would be always useful, to know what
happened to any action i do.
I have to lookup .xsession-error explicitly to get more info, by now.
But then, does konqueror have it ? MS Explorer ? toal commander ?

well, firefox. firefox has anything :) especially, thousands of developpers.

| Embedding a full terminal window (like in Krusader) is not a top
| priority in my opinion.

ACK. We always were talking about a smart *G*UI.
If i need a terminal, i just launch the proper one (root/user).

| "Quick Search" works by pressing CTRL+ALT+LETTER.

Well, looks like Pavel didn't investigate the supplied key.txt
However, that's only partly his fault, since he wasn't expected
to read up the whole source, and the keys aren't mentioned
in the menu, while others are. So you got the impression there
is nothing available.

It shoudl also be mentioned that CTRL-ALT-ENTER does nothing,
in my 1.2.0 version (still from your last tarball)...

| I'm currently working on a version with ALT+LETTER as a quick search
| trigger.

What is LETTER ?

| Agreed.
| Midnight Commander treats F3 (view) as "enter" on directories.

which isn't really useful either, since you already have -> and <enter>.
It just a 'never keep hands in pockets at work'.

| Suggestions are welcomed.

How about basic infos like if it is a link or a mountpoint, and if so then
to / from where (and status), (which basically should be shown in
 file_property too), content in MB (which already is in file_property too,
but it won't hurt to include it again) and always collect some geek info
about the (host) device, about filesystem, inodes, block size, quota,
reserved percantages, check times and whatever looks cool.
Like linux hdparm -i and dumpe2fs, such stuff.