gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: linux upgrade

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: linux upgrade
Date: 24 Jul 2002 10:13:47 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for your interest in gcl!

1) Debian currently has maxima and gcl packages based on the current
   cvs.  As of this time, both are fully functional to my
   understanding on i386, powerpc, sparc, arm, and s390, with a
   trivial fix pending which will add m68k.  Currently needing work
   are mips(el), alpha, ia64, and hppa.  From CVS, gcl is also known
   to build on solaris and windows, producing working maxima binaries
   in each case.

2) As these I update these packages frequently from cvs into Debian
   unstable to aid in shaking out bugs, the version coming with Debian
   3.0 may be somewhat out of date.  You should be able to get the
   most recent package with 'fakeroot apt-get -b source gcl', if you
   add the following line into /etc/apt.sources.list:

deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

3) I would be very interested in any feedback you might have about the
   packages.  You may also be interested in checking out the gcl-devel
   mailing list archives.  A reasonable amount of work has gone into
   gcl since Dr. Schelter's passing, and with some success.  A few new
   features, more portable linking and relocation, preliminary CLOS
   support, clean builds with -Wall, and quite a few bug fixes are
   among the results achieved so far.

4) The gcl team is always looking for motivated contributors.  If you
   find yourself in the position of doing work on gcl, please consider
   becoming a gcl developer so the fruits of your work can be added
   back into the project.  Useful suggestions are also much
   appreciated.

Take care,